Supreme Predators Expedition with Underwater Photography Workshop
A Shark Diving Safari like nowhere else in the World! South Africa is considered the shark diving Mecca of the world with an impressive diversity of over 200 different species of shark (including rays and skates). This expedition starts in the warmer waters of the Kwa-Zulu Natal and ends in the cooler water of Cape Town. You will be introduced to at least 15 different species of sharks from the mighty Great White Shark to the endemic Happy Eddie Shyshark. When you are not coming face to face with some of the world’s most beautiful sharks, other encounters are expected with game fish, Cape Fur seals, African penguins, dolphins, and endemic fish species.
Once the ocean predators are under your belt, a visit to South Africa is not complete without three popular tours; a tour of the picturesque Cape Point Nature Reserve, a Wine Tour where you get to sample some of finest wines (if wine tasting is not your thing you may opt to do another dive), and a BIG 5 game safari.
Lesley Rochat will be your Expedition leader. She will provide tips on getting the best shots in her Predator Photography Workshop (3 sessions), and be on dives with you providing in-the-field assistance. Lesley has been working underwater for many years in False Bay and along South Africa’s coastline, which has its own set of challenges for underwater photographers whether experienced or novice.
Create your own African Adventure, see our Add-ons, which compliment this Expedition:
10 nights 18+ age South Africa: Kwa-Zulu Natal & Cape Town
POSSIBLE WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS
Though nothing in Nature can be guaranteed, this is a list of what there is to see:
- Water: White sharks, Sevengill sharks or cowsharks, Blue sharks, Mako sharks, Spotted Gully sharks, Happy Eddie shysharks, Stripped pajama catsharks, Leopard catshark, Brown shyshark, Rays, Orcas, Humpback whale, Southern right whale, Tiger sharks, Bull sharks, Dusky sharks, Blacktip sharks, Whale sharks, Copper sharks, Raggedtooth sharks (grey nurse), Spotted eagle ray, Guitar sharks, Manta ray, Devil ray, Common dolphin, Indian Ocean Bottlenose dolphin, Humpback whales, Endemic fish species, Cape Fur Seals, African Penguins
- Air: Black browed, yellow nosed, wandering and royal albatross, variety of shearwaters, gulls, terns and petrels, African Oyster Catcher & other endemic bird species, Ostrich
- Earth: Lion, Elephant, Leopard, Cheetah, Buffalo, Rhino, Numerous buck species, Chacma Baboons
WATER TEMPERATURE & VIZ
- Water temperature in Cape Town ranges between 14-23C (57F-73F). 7mm wetsuit is for SCUBA diving, 5mm for snorkeling and freediving. Cape Town visibility ranges between 4-25m (14-80ft), depending on location and time of year.
- Water temperature in KwaZulu Natal ranges between 20-26C (68F-78F). A 5mm wetsuit for SCUBA diving, 3mm wetsuit for snorkeling and freediving. Durban visibility is from 10-25m, depending on location and time of year.
FREEDIVE, SNORKEL OR SCUBA
You have an option to snorkel, freedive or SCUBA dive. Some dives are only for snorkeling or freediving while others are only SCUBA diving as indicated. Please be sure to have your SCUBA diving certificate.
Arrive and transfer to your accommodation with ocean views in Durban South. For those coming from the Wild Coast after the Sardine Run, you will transfer direct after your +-6 hour drive.
This leg of the trip will consist of baited shark dives, which can either be snorkeled, freedived or SCUBA dived. Expect to be surrounded by up to 40 Oceanic Blacktip Sharks on a dive, a serious adrenaline boost for the day with a chance of encountering Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, Grey Nurse Sharks, and Whale Sharks, amongst others.
Evening: Introduction to Underwater Predator Photography by Lesley Rochat
Depart Durban for Cape Town. Arrive Cape Town and transfer to settle into Soulmate by the Sea accommodation with splendid views of False Bay, your home for the next 6 nights.
White Shark Cage Diving at the famous Seal Island in False Bay or at the White Shark Capital of the world, Gansbaai (weather and shark sightings dictate where we dive) and witness the mighty White Shark breaching during natural predations (False Bay). Either cage dive or view from the surface, both fantastic photography opportunities.
Afternoon: Meet the endangered African Penguins at Boulders Beach or Betty’s Bay.
Evening: Underwater Predator Photography Workshop Session 2 by Lesley Rochat.
Dive to inshore kelp forests to meet the prehistoric-looking Sevengill Sharks, also known as Cowsharks. Keep your eyes open for the Happy Eddie Shyshark, Striped Pyjama Sharks, Spotted Gully Sharks, Cape Fur Seals and much more all weaving through the kelp. Straight after this dive get ready for a short boat ride and a dive/snorkel with the Cape Fur Seals of False Bay.
Afternoon: Shark Warrior Cape Point Nature and Culture Tour, half-day.
Head offshore to swim with Blue Sharks and Mako Sharks and a good chance of encounters with giant tuna and shoals of other schooling fish in the pelagic zone.
Evening: Underwater Predator Photography Workshop Session 3 Post processing workshop.
Choose between another Cowshark dive or a full day Stellenbosch Wine Route Tour where you will explore some of the most beautiful countryside of the Cape and enjoy exquisite wines, chocolates and cheese tastings.
Venture off on a true African Safari at a private game reserve close to Cape Town where you will meet the BIG 5 and various other African wildlife.
This part of your adventure is over – check out and transfer back to Cape Town International Airport.
|2018||24 Nov – 3 Dec 2018|
|2019||24 Nov – 3 Dec 2019|
|2018||USA $ 3 395 double occupancy|
|2019||USA $ 3 495 double occupancy|
|2018||4 qualified SCUBA Divers, sharing|
|2019||4 qualified SCUBA Divers, sharing|
In the water
- 2 Oceanic Blacktips and Tiger sharks snorkel/freedive/SCUBA dives
- 1 Protea Banks/or Aliwal Shoal shark SCUBA dive
- 1 White Shark cage diving
- 1 Blue shark and Mako shark trip (full day) snorkel/freedive/SCUBA dive
- 1 (or 2 if no wine tasting) Sevengill Shark and Shyshark freedive/SCUBA dive
- 1 Cape Fur Seal trip snorkel/freedive
- Resident and renowned shark conservationist and photographer, Lesley Rochat as dive guide and photography on-location teacher.
- Weights and tanks
- 10 Nights Bed & Breakfast
- 1 half day Shark Warrior Cape Point Nature & Culture Tour
- 1 half day Shark Warrior African Penguin Tour
- Full day African Big 5 Game Safari – includes lunch
- 1 full day Stellenbosch Wine Tour
- Snacks, cool drinks, light lunch when on boat
- Lesley Rochat’s Shark Photography Course – 3 sessions
- Shark presentation by Lesley Rochat – one evening
- Lunch & dinner
- Dive gear or snorkeling gear
- Camera gear hire
BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
In order to secure your place a 40% deposit is required. The balance must be paid 90 days before the expedition. Should you book anything less than 4 months before the start of the expedition, a 100% of cost is required to secure your place.
Cancellation must be made in writing and if made less than 90 days before the expedition a refund is subject to the space being sold, less administration costs. If the space is not sold, there is no refund.
Should you cancel more than 90 days in advance 90% will be refunded.
All diving is dictated by weather conditions and the itinerary is subject to change. On any no-dive days due to weather, an alternative land tour will be offered. There is no refund for no-dive days or not participating in expedition tours.
Proof of travel and diving insurance, as well as dive certification must be presented on day of arrival. Without these you will not be allowed to participate in any of the activities.
“What an incredible team at Shark Warrior! These guys are amazing! They offer a wonderful service at a great price!”
Pieter Schikkerling ,South Africa
“Being highly knowledgeable about her passion, the ocean and sharks, Lesley ensured I had a holiday of a lifetime!”
Stephen Neild ,United Kingdom
“Spending time with Lesley and seeing the world through her lens was a priviledge and very inspiring!”